10 Cool Math Tricks to Amaze Your Kids & Friends
It’s no secret that a multitude of kids finds grasping the fundamental principles of math, an uphill battle. As a result, they lose interest and don’t put in the required effort to excel in their math skills.
Fortunately, we’ve rounded up a few cool math tricks to help kids grasp those seemingly difficult techniques and step up their calculation skills by a few notches.
They’ll also wow a few people with their seemingly magical abilities when they present a cool math trick.
1. Finding the Answer to Any Number Multiplied By 11
Granted, most kids memorize the multiplication tables up to 10. However, they can take things a step further by learning how to multiply numbers by 11, in a jiffy, for any future math problem. Do the following steps below.
- Let’s try multiplying 35 by 11.
- Separate the digits 3 and 5, with a space between them, such as 3 [ ] 5.
- Now, sum up the two numbers in the middle, such as 3 [3+ 5 =8] 5.
- Your answer is 385. It’s the same as picking up a calculator and pressing 35 X 11 or using a pen and paper to give you the same result.
2. Speed Multiplication With 15
Although it might be easier with single digits, what if you could multiply in a jiffy with 15 as well? Follow the steps below.
- Let’s try 69 by 15
- Add a zero to the end of the number, making it 690
- Divide the number by two, to give us 345 (690/2)
- Sum up the two numbers (690 +345) = 1035
Please check out our 10 Exciting Mathematics Review Games for Kids, to Skyrocket New Math Skills On-The-Go.
3. Summing Two-Digit in a Snap
By grasping the core principles of unit places and tens, you can sum up 2-digit numbers in a jiffy, in the steps below.
- Let’s try 56 + 78
- Divide the 2nd number into units and tens. Therefore, 78= 70+8
- To complete the tens summation, 56 + 70 = 126
- Now, sum up the remaining units place digit, which is 126 + 8 = 134
- That’s it, you’re done!
4. The Answer Is Always 37
Here’s one of the cool math tricks that would generate the answer 37 each time.
- Select a three-digit number with the same digits, for instance, 444.
- Sum up the digits. In this case, 4+4+4=12
- Divide the initial number with this sum. 444/12= 37
It’s a trick that works, regardless of the number you choose.
5. Whether Small or Large, the Answer Will Always Be Eight
As a step-up from the previous math trick, this works on selecting any digit.
- Let’s try 43
- Subtract 1 from it to get 42 (43-1)
- Multiply it by 3. 42 X 3 = 126
- Add 12 to it. 126 + 12 = 138
- Divide the number by 3. 138/3 = 46
- Add 5 to this answer. 46 + 5= 51
- Subtract the original number from it. 51 – 43 = 8
6. Regardless of What You Do, the Answer Remains Constant
It’s one of the cool math tricks that involve the magic of 1089. By using certain calculations, irrespective of the selected three-digit number, the answer will always be 1089. Here’s how to do this simple math trick.
- Let’s try 473
- Rearrange the digits in descending order to give 743 as your first number in ascending order, resulting in 347 as your second number.
- Now, deduct the second from the first number to give 743 -347 = 396
- Reverse the order of the digits to get the number 693
- Sum up both numbers. 396 + 693 = 1089
Are you looking for math games for young kids? Then take a look at your article, Matching Up Games with Math – Play Number Memory Match-Up!
7. Taking You Back to Square One
As one of the 10 cool magic tricks, it begins from 2 digits, bringing you back to them after various calculations.
- Let’s take 3 and 8
- Select one of the digits and multiply by 2. For instance, 3 X 2 = 6
- Add 5 to the answer. 6 + 5= 11
- Multiply the result by 5. 11 X 5 = 55
- Add the other digit you had selected to this answer. 55 + 8 = 63
- Deduct 4 from your answer. 63 – 4= 59
- Subtract 21 from your final answer. 59 – 21 = 38
8. Guess the Change and the Age
It’s one of the cool math tricks that can you amaze your kid by guessing their age and the change they have in their pocket.
- Assume they are 6 years old with two a total change of $8.
- Ask them to multiply their age by two. 6 X 2 = 12
- Add 5 to the answer. 12 + 5 = 17
- Multiply the answer by 50. 17 X 50 = 850
- Deduct 365 from this answer. 850 – 365 = 485
- Ask your kid to add their total change to this answer. 485 + 8 = 493
- Add 115 to this answer. 493 + 115 = 608
- The last two digits represent the change they have (08) whereas the first digit is their age (6).
9. Subtract Three-Digit Numbers From 1000
Here is a cool trick process of how to subtract three-digit numbers from 1000.
- Select a three-digit number, for instance, 634
- Deduct the 1st digit from 9. 9 – 6 = 3
- Subtract the 2nd digit from 9. 9 -3 = 6
- Deduct the 3rd digit from 10. 10 – 4 = 6
- Combining the 3 digits results in 366
- Adding 366 to the initial 634 gives you 1000
10. You’ll Always Return to the Phenomenal 15
Here is one of the cool math tricks that make you return to 15 regardless of the number you select.
- Let’s try 187
- Multiply it by 3. 187 X 3 = 561
- Add 45 to your answer. 561 + 45 = 606
- Multiply the answer by 2. 606 X 2 = 1212
- Divide your answer by 6. 1212/6 = 202
- Deduct the original number from this answer. 202 – 187 = 15. Mind-blowing, right?
By introducing these easy-to-understand cool math tricks you’ll put an end to your child’s misery and make them fall in love with basic math skills. They’ll elevate your child’s calculation skills for common math problems, making them comprehend those seemingly hard-to-grasp concepts.
If you’re looking for fun math games for kids, take a look at Cool Math for 4 Kids site. My kids have enjoyed playing math games there.